Here is a table for the 2016 Chevy Malibu Engine Models with their recommended oil type and oil capacity (with filter):
|Engine Model||Oil Type||Oil Capacity with Filter (quarts/liters)|
|1.5L||Dexos 1 Synthetic Blend||4.0 / 3.8|
|2.0L||Dexos 1 Synthetic Blend||6.0 / 5.7|
|Hybrid||Dexos 1 Synthetic Blend||5.5 / 5.2|
What kind of oil does a 2016 Chevy Malibu take?
The 2016 Chevy Malibu takes Dexos 1 Synthetic Blend oil, which is a type of high-performance synthetic oil that meets the requirements set by General Motors (GM), the manufacturer of the vehicle.
GM requires that the oil used in the 2016 Chevy Malibu meets the Dexos 1 specification, which ensures that the oil provides optimal performance, protection, and durability for the engine. Additionally, GM recommends using oils that meet American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Category SN or higher.
Some examples of suitable oil brands for the 2016 Chevy Malibu include Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Royal Purple, among others.
The amount of oil required for a full oil change can vary slightly depending on the specific engine model, but generally, the 1.5L and hybrid engines require approximately 4 quarts (3.8 liters) of oil with filter, while the 2.0L engine requires approximately 6 quarts (5.7 liters) of oil with filter.
How often do you change the oil on a 2016 Chevy Malibu?
According to General Motors, the manufacturer of the 2016 Chevy Malibu, the recommended oil change interval is every 7,500 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first. However, it’s important to note that this is a general recommendation and may vary based on driving conditions and personal driving habits.
Some professional mechanics may recommend more frequent oil changes, particularly for vehicles that are driven in severe conditions, such as stop-and-go traffic, extreme weather conditions, dusty environments, or towing heavy loads. In these cases, it may be recommended to change the oil more frequently, such as every 3,000-5,000 miles.
How much will it cost to change oil and filter on a 2016 Chevy Malibu in the US?
The cost of an oil change for a 2016 Chevy Malibu can vary depending on several factors, such as the location, type of oil used, and the service provider. On average, you can expect to pay between $30 and $80 for a standard oil change for a 2016 Chevy Malibu with synthetic blend oil and a new filter.
If you choose to use high-performance synthetic oil or if additional services are required, such as replacing other filters or topping off fluids, the cost may be higher.
What are the signs of an oil change in the 2016 Chevy Malibu?
In addition to monitoring mileage, there are several signs that may indicate it’s time for an oil change in a 2016 Chevy Malibu. Here are some things to pay attention to:
- Oil level: Check the oil level on the dipstick regularly to ensure that it is at the proper level. If the oil level appears low or if it looks dirty and gritty, it may be time for an oil change.
- Engine noise: A lack of fresh oil can cause the engine to produce loud, knocking sounds. If you notice any unusual engine noises, it’s best to have your vehicle checked by a professional mechanic.
- Decreased fuel economy: If you notice a decrease in fuel efficiency, it could be a sign of dirty or old oil.
- Dashboard warning light: The “Oil Change” light on the dashboard will illuminate when it’s time to change the oil.
- Smoke from the exhaust: If you see smoke or emissions coming out of the exhaust that are blueish-grey, it could indicate that the oil needs to be changed.