Here’s a table for 2020 Toyota RAV4 Engine Models:
|Engine Model||Oil Type||Oil Capacity with Filter (quarts/liters)|
|2.5L 4-Cylinder (2AR-FE)||0W-20 Synthetic||4.9 quarts (4.6 liters)|
|2.5L 4-Cylinder Hybrid (A25A-FXS)||0W-16 Synthetic||4.8 quarts (4.5 liters)|
What kind of oil does a 2020 Toyota RAV4 take?
The 2020 Toyota RAV4 uses synthetic motor oil. Depending on the engine model, it uses either 0W-20 or 0W-16 synthetic oil:
- 2.5L 4-Cylinder (2AR-FE): 0W-20 Synthetic
- 2.5L 4-Cylinder Hybrid (A25A-FXS): 0W-16 Synthetic
The manufacturer’s recommendation is to use synthetic oil for the best engine performance and longevity.
Here are some brands that produce these types of synthetic oil:
- Mobil 1 – Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 0W-16.
- Castrol – EDGE Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, MAGNATEC 0W-16.
- Pennzoil – Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20, Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-16.
- Valvoline – Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, Advanced Full Synthetic 0W-16.
- Royal Purple – High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20.
The oil capacity, including when changing the oil filter, for the 2020 Toyota RAV4 is:
- 2.5L 4-Cylinder (2AR-FE): 4.9 quarts (4.6 liters)
- 2.5L 4-Cylinder Hybrid (A25A-FXS): 4.8 quarts (4.5 liters)
How often do you change the oil on a 2020 Toyota RAV4?
According to Toyota’s maintenance guidelines, for a 2020 Toyota RAV4, it’s recommended to change your synthetic oil every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. This applies to both conventional and hybrid models.
However, this recommendation is based on what is often referred to as “normal” driving conditions. If your driving habits fall under what is often referred to as “severe” driving conditions – such as frequent short trips (less than 5 miles), repeated short trips (less than 10 miles) when outside temperatures are below freezing, extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving, towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier, or driving on dirt or dusty roads – then more frequent oil changes might be needed, such as every 5,000 miles or 6 months.
How much will it cost to change oil and filter on a 2020 Toyota RAV4 in the US?
The cost for an oil and filter change on a 2020 Toyota RAV4 can vary depending on the type of service center you visit. The price generally ranges from around $40 to $125 in the United States.
At a Toyota dealership, you might expect to pay between $75 and $125. This price typically includes a multi-point inspection along with the oil and filter change.
An independent shop or a quick-lube chain might charge a bit less, typically between $40 and $80. However, the exact price can depend on your location, the specific shop, the brand and type of oil used, and whether any other services are performed concurrently.
What are the signs of an oil change in the 2020 Toyota RAV4?
While mileage is the most commonly used guideline for when to change your oil, there are other signs that may indicate your 2020 Toyota RAV4 needs an oil change. Here are some signals to watch out for:
- Check Engine or Oil Change Light: This is the most straightforward sign. Modern vehicles are programmed to alert you when your oil needs to be changed.
- Dark and Dirty Oil: Clean oil should be a clear, amber color. You can check the color by removing the dipstick, wiping it clean, reinserting it, and then pulling it out again to examine the color. If it’s dark and dirty, it’s time for an oil change.
- Loud Engine Noise and Knocking: Oil provides a barrier between engine parts that prevents them from touching and reduces engine noise. If your engine becomes loud or you hear knocking, your oil might not be doing its job well.
- Oil Smell Inside the Car: If you’re smelling oil inside your car, it could mean there’s an oil leak. Overheating can also cause oil to break down and release a smell.
- Exhaust Smoke: If you notice smoke instead of normal translucent vapor, it could indicate an oil leak.